Hello guys, hope all are good, Today I am discussing some very important and informative topics of current affairs in the form of Weekly current affairs topics which are in news recently and hope you will gain knowledge and take benefit from it.
Chenab Bridge: World’s Highest Railway Bridge
The work of the ‘Chenab Bridge’s arch construction has been completed by the Indian Railways.
1. Chenab Bridge is part of the “Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla” Rail Link Project (USBRL).
2. It is the highest railway bridge in the world to be built by Indian Railways in “Jammu and Kashmir”.
3. Chenab bridge will have a length of 1,315 meters.
4. It is situated at an elevation of 359 meters above the level of the river bed. The bridge is 35 meters higher than the Eiffel Tower in Paris.
“LA PEROUSE” PRACTICE
1. It is a multilateral maritime military practice, being conducted this year in the eastern Indian Ocean region.
2. It is headed by the French Navy.
3. India is participating in this exercise.
Sankalp Se Siddhi
It is a “Village and Digital Connect Campaign” launched by TRIFED under the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
1. It is a 100-day campaign started from April 1, 2021.
2. 150 teams (10 from TRIFED and State Implementing Agencies in each region) will be involved in this campaign, each of which will visit 10 villages. 100 villages in each region and 1500 villages in the country will be covered in the next 100 days.
Military Exercise Shantir Ogroshena 2021
1. It is a multinational military exercise to be held in Bangladesh.
2. This year the Indian Army will also participate in this military exercise.
3. This military exercise will be held in Bangladesh to commemorate the birth centenary of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the ‘Father of the Nation’, and it marks the completion of a glorious 50 years of independence of Bangladesh.
4. Military observers from the US, UK, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Singapore will also be present during the entire exercise.
Third Joint Logistic Node (JLN) in Mumbai
1. In the aviation, transport vehicles, aviation, hired from the Combined Logistics Node (JLN), their small arms ammunition, ration, fuel, general store, civil sector, in an effort to keep the armed forces in sync with their strategic efforts. Will provide integrated logistic cover for used garments, parts and engineering support.
2. Government approval letter for the establishment of Joint Logistic Nodes (JLN) at Mumbai, Guwahati and Port Blair was signed on October 12, 2020. The combined logistic nodes for Guwahati and Andaman-Nicobar Command, Port Blair, were commissioned in January this year.
No reduction in interest rates on small savings
It was withdrawn by the government within hours of notification of significant reduction in interest rates on small savings for this quarter and the sharp reduction in interest rates was reversed.
How are “interest rates” set?
1. Theoretically, from the year 2016 onwards, interest rates are reset on the basis of their maturity, including gains on government securities and accordingly, some extension on schemes for senior citizens. However, in practice, interest rates are changed considering several other factors.
2. The basket of Small Savings Schemes consists of 12 instruments including Savings Deposit, National Savings Certificate (NSC), Public Provident Fund (PPF), Kisan Vikas Patra (KVP) and Sukanya Samriddhi Yojana.
Dadasaheb Phalke Award
Renowned actor Rajinikanth has been honored with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2019.
About the award:
1. Dadasaheb Phalke Award is India’s highest award for cinema.
2. The award is presented annually by the Directorate of Film Festivals (an organization established by the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting) at the National Film Awards ceremony.
3. The award consists of a Swarna Kamal, a cash prize of Rs 10 lakh and a shawl.
4. The award is given for “outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian cinema”.
5. The award was first conferred in the year 969. Devika Rani, the first female actress of Indian cinema, was given the award for the first time.
1. Anamaya is a tribal health association supported by the Piramal Foundation and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF).
2. It will integrate the efforts of various government agencies and organizations to improve the health and nutritional status of India’s tribal communities.
3. This initiative is committed to ending ‘preventable deaths’ in tribal communities.
1. More than 1,100 visas have been issued by the Pakistan High Commission to Sikh pilgrims from India to attend the annual Baisakhi celebrations.
2. Every year a large number of Sikh pilgrims from India visit Pakistan to celebrate various religious festivals, under the framework of the Pakistan-India Protocol on visits to religious shrines.
3. Baisakhi marks the beginning of the Hindu Solar New Year. Vaisakhi is celebrated on the first day of Baisakh month, usually on 13 or 14 April every year, and is a historical and religious festival in Sikhism.
Lab On Wheels
1. ‘Lab on Wheels’ (Lab on Wheels) is a part of the “Education Reaches You” scheme of Delhi Technological University (DTU).
2. ‘Lab on Wheels’ is a specially built bus consisting of 7 computers, two televisions, a 3D printer, a camera and a normal printer. The bus will visit the city to give educational lectures, tutorials as part of its outreach program to guide the students in the field of Mathematics, Science and Advanced Technology.
3. This laboratory will provide science related education in Delhi’s government schools and for underprivileged children.
The military form has been formally closed after the army has been in service for 132 years. Recently a formal closing ceremony was held for this.
What is a “military form”?
1. These military farms were established with the aim of providing healthy milk of cows to the army guarding the fort or city in British India. The first military farm was established on 1 February 1889 in Allahabad.
2. After Independence, 30 military farms with 30 thousand cattle were built all over India. Even military farms were established in Leh and Kargil in the late 1990s.
3. Military farms have been supplying 50 million liters of milk and 25,000 tons of hay for more than a century.
Suggestions to close military farms:
1. In the year 2012, the closure of military farms was recommended by the Quarter Master General Branch.
2. In December 206, Lieutenant General DB Shekatkar (Retd) committee constituted to recommend measures for increasing the combat capability of the Armed Forces and rebalancing defense expenditure, also recommended discontinuation of these forms.
The Red Sea (also the Irish Sea), located between Africa and Asia, is a watershed of the Indian Ocean Sea. It connects to the ocean through the Bab al-Mandeb Strait in the south and the Gulf of Aden. To its north lies the Sinai Peninsula, the Gulf of Aqaba, and the Gulf of Suez (the route to the Suez Canal). This ocean passes through the “Red Sea Rift”, which is a part of the “Great Rift Valley”.
The salinity of the Red Sea is about 4 percent higher than the world average.
There are several factors:
1. Lack of important rivers or streams flowing into the ocean.
2. Limited affiliation with low salinity Indian Ocean.
3. High rate of evaporation and very low rainfall.
1. Recently, Indian astronomers have detected a rare supernova explosion in Wolf Rayet Stars.
2. These rare Wolf-Rayet Stars are a thousand times brighter bodies than the Sun.
3. These are a group of diverse stars with extraordinary spectra, and show distinct and broad emission lines of ionized helium and highly ionized nitrogen or carbon.
4. The surface temperature of wolf-rayet wires known so far ranges from 30,000 K to 20,000 K, which is higher than almost all other types of wires.
5. These were earlier called W-type stars.
“International Virtual Election Visitors Program” (IVEP) 2021
1. Recently ‘International Virtual Election Visitors Program “2021 was hosted by Election Commission of India.
2. Election Management Institutions (EMBs) / organizations from 26 countries and three international organizations participated in the event.
3. IVEP 2021 will present to the participants reviews about the broader scenario of the Indian election process, steps taken by ६ ९ for voter convenience, transparency of the electoral system and the changing needs of access, training and capacity building.
1. Patricia Edwina Victoria Mountbatten, Mountbatten was the second Countess of Burma and belonged to the royal family of Britain. She was the cousin sister of Prince Philip, the great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria and the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II of Britain.
2. She was the eldest daughter of Lord Lewis Mountbatten, the last Viceroy of India.
Reason for discussion:
More than 350 items from Patricia Mountbatten’s personal collection are going to be auctioned in London. These items include a diamond-studded bracelet from Jaipur inherited from India and a pair of gem-studded ornamental elephants. So auction of these items in London amounted to more than £ 6 million
‘Culex’ or common domestic mosquito
1. Culex mosquitoes are known carriers of some serious diseases.
2. They can fly up to a distance of 1-1.5 km.
3. They breed in dirty and stagnant water.
Reason for discussion:
Many resident welfare associations in Delhi have complained of an increase in the number of mosquitoes around them, causing the municipal corporations to hold high-level meetings and expedited campaigns to curb the growth of mosquitoes.
1. It is a product for low cost internet in rural areas.
2. It has been developed by a women-led startup “Astrome”.
3. This wireless product called Giga Mesh can enable telecom operators to deploy quality, high-speed rural telecommunications infrastructure at 5 times lower cost.
1. The program is initiated by the Atal Innovation Mission in partnership with the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and the Venture Center.
2. AIM-Prime (Research Program on Innovation, Marketability and Entrepreneurship) is an initiative launched to encourage and support science and technology based startups and entrepreneurship institutes across India.
World Health Day
1. 7 April (is celebrated as “World Health Day”).
2. On April 7, the year 948 (World Health Organization ”(WHO) was formed, this day is celebrated as World Health Day.
3. This year’s theme: “Building a fairer, healthier world for everyone”.
1. “Madhukranti Portal”, an initiative of the National Bee Board (NBB), Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, under the National Beekeeping and Honey Mission (NBHM).
2. This portal has been developed for online registration to obtain traceability sources of honey and other bee products on the digital platform.